Thursday, February 18, 2010

sign me up to do this forever


February 17, 2010.
A fantastic day in Burbank, CA.

0905: We pulled up to the Studio and had special parking spots designated to us. It was quite fantastic.

0915: An SUV pulls up. It is the casting director. We greet her and thank her for the amazing opportunity and we step inside the studio.

0920: Filling out my AFTRA application (oh snap: no dues though since I'm Taft Hartley) and other contractual information.

0925: Hanging around in the studio studying my lines.

0935: Aileen is sent into the recording studio. While I lounge around the lobby area. The receptionist offers me breakfast. There is a sweet and savory option plus fruit and granola and a bunch of snacks, coffee and water. I politely decline to spare making any mouth noise and to save my hunger for All You Can Eat Korean BBQ with Matt Moy.

1035: Aileen is out! I am next and the nerves start to hit.

1037: I get called in

1040: In the booth getting set up.

1042: Getting different levels for the lines I have to perform

1043: We start from the top and outside, my sister see the red light turn on!

1100: "MORE ENERGY"

1101: "MORE ENERGY"

1102: "MORE INTENSE"

1105: "THE GUY IS 50 FEET AWAY FROM YOU"

1125: "Thank you, you did great!"

1128: A big hug to the casting director and we are on our way to the lobby

1130: DONE!

I must say that the one hour session was one of the most tiring Voice Over things I've ever done. When you think you're giving your 100%, they want 120% out of you. Don't hold back at all. That was the biggest lesson. And during the session, that was the pinnacle of my voiceover career where I knew why I took classes at Voicetrax and why it took me so long to get to this moment. If I booked this job a year ago, I would have been a lost puppy and probably would have had a rough session. But with the training I've gotten, it really proved that there is a method to the madness and not to mess with it.

It was a great day. A great achievement in my VO career. I'll never forget it. And now I work towards the next.

No comments:

Backtrack